Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My director said "just do it!" all the time. Everything she said usually ends with that phrase. I always thought to myself, well thats easy for her to say because she's a very straight to the point person. But I would always linger around, wasting time, and procrastinating!
Yesterday evening, around 5:30pm she called me from another consultant's home and said " I am challenging the two of you (myself and the other consultant) to book 5 appointments by 9pm". And I was thinking and saying the same thing as Cindy! How on earth did she want us to book 5 appointments in less than 4 hours when we were both having trouble getting them all week long? And once again her answer was "Just Do It!" She then hung up, without even saying goodbye. I guess she knew that would put the pressure on me... LOL (she always knows how to get me motivated)

I sat here for about 5 minutes thinking "I just KNOW Cindy will get hers done, so I gotta get moving because I don't want to feel like the lazy one". So I came up with a plan! I started at the top of my "non-regular customers" (the ones that don't order very regularly) and made my calls. I told them I wanted to run by on Wed. evening after my other job and let them try one of our new products really quick and to drop off a new copy of the catalog. Believe it or not out of the first 7 calls, 6 said yes and the other was a voicemail. Well of course I left the message saying I would go ahead and run by unless they called and said it would not be a good time for them. So, in 15 minutes, I had booked 6 definite appointments and 1 tenative one!

I was so excited that I called my director back and she said that the other consultant (whom has been with the company for 3 years and is doing very well) said "do you really think Kim will get 5 bookings tonight?" And my director's reply was "Yes, I know she will, so get busy!" So Cindy was very excited for me, but, nervous about calling from her list of names. But when I told her that I was done with the challenge and actually had an extra, she got into gear! She returned my call by 7pm and said she booked hers too!

So, both Cindy and I have learned a very valuable lesson: Just do it, may seem like a corny thing to say to someone, but when you put it into action, it really does pay off! That will be my new mantra for life!

Before last night, I was on my way out of business so to speak... my datebook was empty. After seeing how easy it really is to just call someone and ask if they would like to try something new or maybe book a class or party, I will definitly be making more phone calls. And as it would go, my Director has challenged both Cindy and Myself to get at least 5 new bookings and 5 new customer contacts every day this week! So it's off to work I go!

Kim Luxich
Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
www.marykay.com/kluxich

*register as a new customer on my site with your name, mailing addy, and email to get a free sample and $5.00 gift certificate to use on my website! Refer a friend, get 10% off your next order. (just put your friend's name in the comment box on your order)

No comments: